Suburb Profile - Doubleview
The name "Doubleview" was chosen because of the extensive views offered of the Indian Ocean to the west and the Darling Ranges and Perth to the east. The northern section of Doubleview was first subdivided in 1910 but land did not sell rapidly. As street names duplicated those in Perth, many investors were led to believe they were buying in the city centre. In 1916, developer M.L. Connor subdivided the southern portion of Doubleview, but once again blocks were slow to sell. In 1926, a firm of developers called Dudley and Dwyer acquired the unsold lots in both parts of Doubleview. Though they created the name for the area in an attempt to attract interest, development did not begin to accelerate until the government began providing Returned Soldiers homes in the northern section of Doubleview after World War II. Doubleview is dominated by single detached dwellings, and some scattered unit and duplex developments. Much of the area contains post-war housing, a significant proportion of which was constructed by the government. The majority of dwellings are of timber frame construction, with more recent developments using brick and tile. Some parts of the southern section of Doubleview contain examples of sixties and International style housing. Westfield Innaloo is a major retail outlet for the suburb and is supplemented by older retail strips along Sackville Terrace and Scarborough Beach Road. There are a number of small parks within Doubleview which offer both active and passive recreation, including Bennett Park and John K. Lyon Reserve. Doubleview Primary School serves the education needs of younger students in the area.